Chiropractic can provide a number of health benefits during pregnancy. In addition to relieving neck and back pain that can accompany weight gain, chiropractic helps to maintain balance and alignment in the spine. This can reduce the chance of having a breech baby by allowing the baby to assume his or her optimal birthing position. Regular adjustments can ensure that pelvic bones are properly aligned, facilitating an easier and quicker delivery. Chiropractic care also stimulates the nervous system to enable proper functioning of the reproductive organs.
In addition to providing adjustments and muscle work that can greatly enhance the experience of a pregnancy, chiropractors can give advice on nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle activities that may also be beneficial. The following are some healthy tips for pregnant women:
- Exercise at least three times a week to strengthen your muscles. Make sure to gently stretch before and after exercising. Walking and swimming are excellent cardio exercises for pregnant women. Strenuous activity should not exceed 15 minutes at a time.
- If you notice any unusual symptoms like vaginal bleeding, dizziness, heart palpitations, or nausea, stop your exercise routine immediately.
- Eat small meals or snack every four to five hours, rather than eating three large meals. This will help keep nausea or extreme hunger at bay. Crackers and yogurt-bland foods high in carbohydrates and protein are great choices for snacks.
Health & Safety
- Wear flat, comfortable shoes.
- When picking up children or objects, bend from the knees, not the waist and avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Get plenty of rest throughout the pregnancy.
- Sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees to take pressure off your lower back.
- If your job requires you to sit in front of a computer for long periods of time, make sure your workstation is ergonomically correct. Take a break every 30 minutes by taking a brief walk around the office.